Sunday, May 6, 2007

The night the lights came on in South Carolina: high school censorship

Wonderful article on Vonnegut's response to a teacher who tried to introduce his books to young readers.

Link

Excerpt and Vonnegut's letter follow:

After his Novello lecture, Vonnegut went to the library to sign books. The line of fans snaked along East Sixth Street, around the corner and up North Tryon.In his letter, [Gary] Black had invited Vonnegut to spend the night at his house. Or, if he was too busy, just to find a place to chat.

Chat, not as Kurt Vonnegut, noted author, but as Kurt Vonnegut, the guy who cared enough about just some little guy to call him up one day and offer to help him out.

Vonnegut responded right away.

What I did so long ago now was cheap and easy, and made me feel good about myself, so you don't owe me anything ... I wish I could spend time with you in Charlotte. But I will be on a very short leash there, and the servant of my employers.

He wrote that he was off to Asheville after Novello. But he told Black he would see him briefly.

He included a line drawing of himself with a pointed nose and cigarette between his lips.

And he said he'd be "honored" to sign the paperback that helped shape Gary Black's life.

VONNEGUT'S LETTER

Dear Gary Black --

I'm glad you're OK and have a house. What I did so long ago now was cheap and easy, and made me feel good about myself, so you don't owe me anything.

But I am in debt to you for your really swell letter, and I wish I could spend time with you in Charlotte. But I will be on a very short leash there, and the servant of my employers.

I will be going to Asheville the next day, disappointingly by air, since I imagine there is a lot to see and remember on the ground.

I will see you briefly, at least, and would be honored to sign the book which so enflamed the rubes.

Cheers,

Kurt Vonnegut

Sep. 21, 1994

No comments: